"We recognize that a diverse associate base is a natural byproduct of seeking out the very best people to work for Cerner. We are fortunate to enjoy a work culture where people with different benefits and characteristics find commonality in working together to improve the health of individuals and communities worldwide.”Neal Patterson, Cerner Founder
In order to promote genuine diversity and inclusion at Cerner, we strive to provide resources, initiatives and programs to meet the needs of a wide variety of associates. These include:
Women in Technology
Without women in our workforce, we risk missing out on the perspective, creativity, innovation and experience of roughly half our population.
We want to ensure that women continue to pursue careers in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM). Cerner partners with schools and organizations to identify strategies that will enhance STEM programming for women and girls and grow our future workforce. These include the following:
- Information sessions at various universities with the Society of Women Engineers
- Robotics competitions
- KC Women in Technology
- Coding for Cupcakes
- Coding Dojo
- Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day
- Girls in Tech event
Military veterans honor us all. With their bravery. With their sacrifice. And with their commitment to keeping our world as safe and orderly as possible. Cerner supports veteran organizations and causes, and hires those who have the specific skill sets to help us realize our objectives of enhancing health and care. We make a concerted effort to ensure that each hire is a good fit for the veteran and our organization by carefully evaluating their talents, education and experience. Proudly employing hundreds of military veterans, we know the special qualities you bring to every challenge you face. And we are always looking for more.
Learn more about opportunities for military veterans.Help me find a job
Race and Culture
The unique experiences of our associates from various backgrounds offer an invaluable platform from which we can explore enhanced solutions for our clients and the patients they serve, and provide an internal support system and social network for our associates.
Cerner ensures that its recruiting efforts span the full array of cultures and races by:
- Partnering with organizations to raise awareness of our openings to a broad candidate pool.
- Contacting candidates through diversity-related organizations.
- Participating in NAACP career fairs and other diversity hiring events.
- Participating in the INROADS internship program, which supports diversity internship placement.
- Establishing relationships with the National Society of Black Engineers, the National Association of Black Accountants and the National Society of Hispanic Professionals to assist in diversity recruiting efforts.
Cerner associates speak more than 60 different native languages; come from a variety of cultures, races and countries; and are provided with the tools to help them acclimate and learn. These include:
- GlobeSmart®, a web-based tool that assists all associates in working with people from other cultures.
- Rosetta Stone language-learning opportunities.
- The flexibility to observe alternate holidays to support religious or other customs.
- Opportunities for assignments in other regions and countries throughout the world.
- Privacy/prayer rooms on campuses and at large Cerner events.
- A culturally diverse on-campus lunch menu selection.
Cerner is committed to ensuring that associates of all sexual orientations and gender identities are provided with equal opportunities, recognition and support throughout the workplace.
Encouraging an environment where all of our associates are valued for their contributions, we are pleased to offer the following as examples of our commitment to LGBTQ community:
- Benefits for same-gender partners equal to spouses, including leaves of absence and adoption.
- Support for transgender associates who are transitioning.
- Zero tolerance for discrimination of any kind.
- Recipient of the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Award as a leader in LGBTQ equality.
- Founding member of the Mid-American Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce.
- Recognized for support of associates who identify with the LGBTQ community.
Each Cerner associate is regarded exclusively for his or her capabilities and contributions to our mission. As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, we ensure that our recruitment efforts reach people with disabilities through focused community partnerships.